TACOS with YELLOW RICE
I like to use brown rice in this recipe. Because brown rice has a longer cook time, you can start the rice and simmer while preparing the meat. I sometimes add a ½ cup of dried lentils to the rice, or you can carefully stir in ½ can cooked black beans to your rice or meat at the end.
**Pair this meal with GREEN CABBAGE SALAD for a delicious warm/cold taco combination. The salad can be made up to a day ahead of time.** Find the recipe here:
RICE INGREDIENTS. Makes 8 servings (1 serving = about 1/3 c)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup long-grain brown rice (uncooked)
½ cup firm-textured uncooked lentils (optional)
1. Wash rice and lentils (if using) in a strainer under cold water. Let drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, sauté onions in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
4. Stir in turmeric, then rice/lentil mixture. Add broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Stir only occasionally. Set the rice aside for 5-10 minutes to let liquid fully absorb.
Taco meat. Prepare while rice is simmering.
TACO MEAT INGREDIENTS.
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ lbs organic ground meat (I usually use ground turkey)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1. Warm 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and ½ tsp salt and cook over medium-low heat until onion is translucent, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add chopped green bell pepper (optional) and cook on medium heat another 3 minutes.
4. Add ground meat, minced garlic, and spices (chili powder, cumin, and oregano). Increase cooking temperature to medium-high. Break up the meat and blend with spices, cooking until the meat is done.
Your favorite hard or soft taco shells. We like organic blue corn hard shells